Saturday 16 January 2016

One trick pony ??

Ey up my faithful blogworms, If I ever wanted to shown an example of incompetent timber worktop fitting, this would be a good one !!

I was called out to have a look at this poor homeowners worktops and this what I found, spot the deliberate mistake ..... but more importantly, the ridiculous, idiotic way they put it right. 


You cut the hole the wrong size, ie: too big, you replace the section of worktop .....simples ! You don't bodge it up by nailing a cheap beading round the edge. 

Any reasonable kitchen fitter knows that the worktop should overlap the edge of a Belfast sink so that the water runs into the sink.

Needless to say, this doesn't, I wonder why ?

Other points to note are:

Looking at the front of the sink, the corners don't line up left and right, one overlaps, the other is set back. 
That means the joint into the next piece of worktop is in the wrong place by about 40mm.  You can see it clearly in the bottom photo.

The tap is too far back and the worktop leans back at this point so the water runs the wrong way, hence the sitting water damage behind the the tap.

The worktop section to the left of the sink is badly cracked partly due to the stupidity of the beading and partly to the fact the worktop is only oiled on the top, no oil is to be seen anywhere on the underside of any of the sections of this worktop layout. 

Massive fundamental error on the part of the installer ! 

Every part and I mean EVERY PART of a set of timber tops must have a minimum of 3 coats of Oil applied to it so it creates a humidity balance that minimises ( or stops completely ) the tendency of the wood to crack when it dries out. 

This layout was clearly fitted by someone who has absolutely no bloody idea what he's doing and what makes me the most annoyed   ......  is due to his incompetence, it's another person to add to the growing list of people who don't like and wouldn't have timber worktops and someone whose paid good money for a crap job  !

I am feeling a bit like I'm banging on about a single subject for too long in my blogs at the moment and next week, I promise, we'll have a change of subject. Trouble is, is that I only saw this mess earlier this week and it was too good an opportunity to pass up. 

Please, please, please don't despair over timber tops but do check out previous similar work carried out by anyone you're thinking of employing to do this type of work.

I'll even email you my instructions and care leaflet F.O.C. for you to use as a guide to how it should be done !!!!

I'm definitely not a "one trick pony" but I felt this story needed to be told !

Be careful out there ! Jules














No comments:

Post a Comment