Saturday 17 January 2015

Leaning Tower of Cheeser

Ey up my faithful blogworms, sometimes my talents are called for in different areas !




A cheese wedding cake ... what the hell is that ??

Apparently it's becoming trendy to have a wedding cake comprised entirely of cheese !

So, being asked if I could make one, I rose to the challenge. The result is what you see here. This may seem a bit random for someone who spends his time building kitchens but it turned out so well, I thought I'd share it with you all this week.

Piling rounds of cheese up to form a cake can be risky if one of them's a bit softer and you don't want to end up with the 'Leaning Tower of Cheeser' so, I felt, a structure was needed.

This was made from recycling some old maple floorboards. The ground floor is heart shaped with an oval one for the first floor and a circular one to top it off. 

Using Cheeses from the wonderful Wensleydale Creamery at Hawes in the Yorkshire Dales, we were able to get 11 different cheeses on board, using rounds, half rounds and wax covered truckles. Over 10 kgs of cheese plus the structure, it was quite heavy to say the least !

The two small bride and groom mice on top are made from felt and looked brilliant .... what else would you put on top of cheese ???

As I said, seemingly a bit random for things I normally talk about but I hope you find this, at least, entertaining and hopefully an inspiration for your own wedding cake. We were at the wedding and I have to say, the compliments were flying in !

If you're getting wed this year, I'll congratulate you now and maybe make it 'a little cheesey !'

As always, yours, Jules.













No comments:

Post a Comment